Monday 8 October 2012

A (fruity) cupcake kind of day...

My favourite cupcake recipe book proves successful once again! 'Wild about Cupcakes' by Rachel Lane. Being Spring, I've decided to make cupcakes with fruit in and/or on top of them, simply because they look healthier...

First, I made 'Blueberry and Yoghurt Cupcakes'.

I learnt a valuable lesson making these: Even though 'vanilla ice cream' is sort of like the basic ice cream without flavour and colour, this does not mean that vanilla yoghurt is the same! This recipe had yoghurt in the mixture, and placed on top. I wondered why the yoghurt on top kept dripping down and wasn't all plump like the ones in the photo - and that would have explained why... This is what they were supposed to look like:



And this is what mine looked like ->

They matched (sort of) appearance wise... But the yoghurt certainly made the difference with how sweet they were!

These were from the 'Simple and Healthy' section of the cupcake book, and they were really yummy, despite using the wrong yoghurt on top! My son and I both share a passion for blueberries, and we both enjoyed eating these!

These next ones I made for a recent Cancer Council fundraiser... They're called 'Banana Split Cupcakes'... This is what they were supposed to look like:




And this is what mine looked like ->

Having learnt my lesson previously with the blueberry cupcakes, I used the proper yoghurt this time.

Mine look more... Cluttered. But... Fuller, with yellow patties instead of pale green (can't go out buying different coloured cases every time I bake - that would be silly)




There was some good feedback with the banana split cupcakes. The banana slices on top kept falling over a bit, though, which for the perfectionist like me can be frustrating! But, once the chocolate was melted over the top, you couldn't really tell :)


I don't think I've ever liked anything (hobby-wise) as much as I like
baking and decorating cupcakes... Can you tell? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment