Friday 13 September 2013

Feelin' superstitious!

It's Friday the 13th! Oooooooooooooer...

If you're really a superstitious kind of person, you'll have counted the number of 'O's above to make sure it was 13. If you didn't, then you're probably not superstitious... If you went back and counted them now, then you may suffer from a little Obsessive Compulsive Disorder... Just like me.


Friday 13th is considered unlucky in Western culture. Why?? Apparently, it potentially goes back to Biblical times. Some folklorists have linked it to the 13th guest at the Last Supper who betrayed Jesus and caused his crucifixion (which was on a Friday). By the late Middle Ages, both the day Friday, and the number 13 were considered unlucky...

I think that bakers are to blame: they changed the number in a dozen.

Do you freak out on Friday 13th?? Here's some freaky/fun facts about this day/date:

- In 2012, there were 3 Friday 13th's (January, April and July), which all fell exactly 13 weeks apart. The next year to have 3 Friday 13th's will be 2015 in February, March and November.

- Fear of Friday the 13th is called friggatriskaidekaphobia.

- Alfred Hitchcock was born on the 13th. August 13th (Friday), 1999 would have been his 100th birthday.

- I made cupcakes, and didn't burn down my house, kill anyone, or slice my finger off!

Of course, I themed them for Friday 13th (the movie, the date, the superstition behind the date - whatever)!


I had this 'mask', also, to follow as I dotted my fudge frosting onto the fondant circles. After a little while, they just looked like dots randomly put on top of a cupcake, but I had good intentions.


Mini Friday 13th "Jason" cupcakes!



The local youth group loved them, and said they were delicious!! Dead serious.

Keep calm! It's almost Saturday.
Here. Listen to Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" while you wait :)

No comments:

Post a Comment