I started with nice and simple yellow stars, but added sanding sugar to (hopefully) make them appear to be twinkling:
I was hoping that on a positive side, his teacher would instantly be able to recognise what each of my green 'continents' were! Not sure if that happened, though. They weren't exactly shaped right!
The rockets were a bit tough... I used a rectangular cookie cutter to cut the red fondant, and then trimmed the top into a point. For the 'fire' at the bottom of the rockets, I used my little leaf cutter, and joined two orange leaves together with a bit of water :)
From what I heard, the cupcakes were presented to the birthday boy's class at school, and were met with many impressive "Oooh"s and "Aaah"s!! I am really glad he liked them :)