Wednesday 30 January 2013

Ohh back to school, back to school...

Well, it's the time of the year that always feels so surreal to me... Where did the last 6 weeks go? Is it really time to go back to school? Surreal that I've waited and counted down until this day with so much anticipation, but now that it's here, I'm nervous about having to get back into that 'routine' of getting up earlier, get dressed earlier, having a quick breakfast (not a leisurely pancake/waffle breakfast at 10am anymore), and being somewhere at the same time every day!

Then that's mixed with the surreal feeling realising that my children (which must also mean me) are getting older, are going to be learning more complex things this year, and now there's less years until they go to high school, and then graduate from high school, then move out of home - ..... Okay maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself on that one :)

But, as I usually do, I felt that the best way to get through the first day of school and cope with this change (again), is to make cupcakes!

Inspired by various apple cupcakes I've seen, I wondered why apples were associated with teachers and education... So I did a bit of research and found out that in the 18th century in European countries such as Sweeden and Denmark, apples were given to teachers both as gifts, and as payment for education.

Back to School Cupcakes!



I made these with coloured caster sugar, butter cream icing, and a vanilla bean cut up... And you know what they say... "An apple a day, keeps the doctor away!" ... I wonder if a teacher came up with that slogan :)

Ooohhhhh...


... And now all I can think about is Billy Madison.

No comments:

Post a Comment