Sunday 28 July 2013

Angry, angry birdies!

But wait, just when you thought that I was done with Ben's birthday for another year, there's more!

After his party, it was still a week until his actual birthday, and as per usual, my kids always take cupcakes into school with them on the day of, or closest to their birthday to share with their classmates, friends, and teachers.

Asking Ben what kind of cupcakes he wanted, he said "Monsuno."

Not knowing what the heck that even was, and even Googling it to see if Google knew what it was, I told him that I couldn't do something that tricky on top of what I already had to do this week. He suggested that I just make some more Pokémon cupcakes like I did last year (because "you did a really good job of those, Mum"), but I didn't want to do that either. I suggested Angry Birds, and he was delightfully happy with that choice!

Thank. Goodness. Angry Birds was at least a simple enough platform I could work with, because they were (or would be) all round and a lot easier to repeat 30 times over than Sonic the Hedgehog's head, for example.

I made cupcakes in the same coloured cases as their decorations would be (because sometimes I really like it when things match), and cut out circles from yellow, red, green, and blue fondant.


With white fondant, a round piping tip, and the circle cutter, I made eyes and the bellies of the red and yellow birds. I have no idea what all of these birds do in regards to the Angry Birds game, and I don't know why they are so angry all the time (any child would probably tell me if I asked, though), I just tried to copy what they looked like on Google.


The beaks were just a strip of orange fondant cut into little diagonals. Everything was stuck on with sugar glue, and they were so far looking alright. I got out my chocolate fudge frosting tube and added pupils and eye brows to the ones needing them. Wow, what a difference eye brows make to a character!! They really did look angry at me for some reason. I hope it wasn't because the yellow one was round instead of triangular... Though, it was midnight at this stage, and I really didn't care why they were angry with me. Even the pigs (why are they green?) looked angry at me.


Using (shh, don't tell Ben) glittery tube frosting, (you know, the ones that come in the box with silver, blue, purple & pink?) I added the tuft of hair for the red bird, the tuft for the blue bird, and the sunken eyes of the blue bird. On top of the cupcakes, I piped a big dollop of buttercream icing, and pushed the angry bird/pig topped onto their respective cupcakes. I did this in the morning so that the toppers had time overnight to set a bit - making them easier to push on and stay flat.


When Ben saw them, he was impressed with what I'd made for him. I boxed two separately for Tamara to take for herself and to share, as she didn't want to miss out on a cupcake, and wanted to take one for her teacher as well.

Everyone went to school happy, and it still wasn't quite Ben's actual birthday yet! Yesterday it was, though, and Ben was fine with me not making any more cakes or cupcakes for him...

He was less impressed that on his actual birthday, I got a left-over angry bird cupcake and flung it to his head using a sling shot ;)

... Just kidding. I wouldn't do that, would I?

No comments:

Post a Comment