The fondant method was pretty simple. I turned the cupcake base upside down and covered it as I would any other cake. I kept a couple of centimetres around the edge so that I could fold it on top... With a finger, I slid up and down the waves in the side, so that the 'patty case' kept its shape:
I attached the top part of the cupcake, and started piping purple and pink roses around... It was about 3 roses later that I remembered that I needed an entire layer of buttercream icing on the cake first before I piped, so spread those roses around the top of the cake, and started again.
Once the roses were done, and the gaps were filled, I took some tasty little silver balls of sugar (aka cachous) and aimed them randomly at the cake - from all possible angles... I sprinkled, pegged, and pretended to be a famous giant basketball player, shooting them from the other side of the kitchen as if this cake was the hoop... You know, just to add a bit of glamour.
Enter my husband, who almost slides across the floor like Marv on green paint* because most of them missed, BUT, these were the ones that stuck:
Earlier, I'd made some light pink and purple butterflies that I pushed a stencil into to create pretty patterns on their wings, and thenfolded them over a bowl to set... They were placed ever so carefully onto the cake (covering the most dodgy parts, sshhh), and then with sugar glue, some were randomly glued to the base of the cupcake as well: