Tuesday 4 February 2014

And they lived happily ever after!

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever."
- Walt Disney

It's hard not to love a Disney movie. And if you're a girl, it's hard not to go through the faze of wanting to be a Disney princess. I'm almost 30 and still want to be one! Or maybe I just want to sing songs all day, have animals to do my housework, fit perfectly into every dress I own, and enjoy flawless hair and skin forever and ever and ever.


Lately, there's been many little girls asking to have princess cupcakes for their birthday. As I think about princesses and royalty, there's one thing that goes beyond the pretty dress, perfect hair, talking animals, and spotless house (or palace/mansion/castle):

A tiara.


Every princess needs a tiara, especially if you're pretending to be one,
which can be so much FUN!


And so, here are some princess tiara cupcakes I've made for a couple of special little girls, in the prime of their imaginative (and princess obsessed) childhoods.

I was once lucky enough to find and buy a packet of white chocolate melts in ALDI that were perfect for melting/piping designs because it set almost straight away. In my experience, Cadbury's white chocolate melts don't set, even when left overnight. It therefore saddens me deeply that I haven't since seen them being sold at ALDI.

For one style of cupcakes, I designed a tiara and placed it under baking paper as a guide (like I've done before whenever I use chocolate for cupcakes). I then melted and piped white chocolate onto it, and wrapped them around a roll of wrapping paper - a simple way to make them set round. A small bit of sticky tape helps the paper stay put. Once the chocolate tiaras were set (which was by the time I'd finished piping the last one), I carefully placed them on top of the cupcakes, which had pink buttercream icing swirled onto them.


These next ones also had pink buttercream icing on them, but, without having the awesome ALDI white chocolate melts, I instead rolled out some white fondant, cut them with my mini tiara cutter, and placed them inside my cake pop tray to set slightly rounded.

Once they were set (I left them overnight), I sprayed them with silver mist, and gently placed them on top of the cupcakes, which had also been sprinkled with pink sugar (a.k.a. "princess dust"). If I was to make these ones again, I'd also write something on the tiara. Perhaps the birthday girl's name or age, or a mixture of both.


Finally, if you're really not someone who's interested in happily ever afters, and hates the idea of Disney princess movies continuing to create false hopes and dreams in the young girls of today... Then you will love this video:

"If you've ever wondered why Disney's tales all end in lies,
here's what happened after all their dreams came true."


I wonder if Nala from The Lion King is also classified as a Disney princess...

Hakuna Matata!

No comments:

Post a Comment