After making these, I had a new idea for the jelly worms, on the probable cause that the jelly-in-the-glass idea wasn't going to work as I imagine... I made the jelly as per usual, placed straws into a baking tray, and covered them with the jelly, making sure the straws were filled... I used Strawberries & Cream flavoured jelly this time, figuring that it's more 'worm' coloured than 'tropical', and because I hadn't seen it before and thought "what a cool flavour!" :)
Be warned if you want to try them this way: It can be messy. Straws float, so you need to push them under the jelly, slide your finger along to get the air bubbles out, and then let go while they are still submerged to fill them up with jelly... Prepare for jelly to be over your fingers and perhaps even over your bench top.
Once the jelly was set, I took the straws out and gave them a rinse... Now I was just one step away from having edible jelly worms!!
I Google'd some ideas - one of which was to use a rolling pin over them to squeeze the jelly out... Cool, sure, so I tried that with a few straws, but it just smooshed over the jelly... Next I tried just using my fingertips to slide them out - which worked! But... I must have done something wrong in the process, because the jelly worms, that should have looked all nice and sealed, having the consistency and texture of a real worm, looked like this:
I concluded this to be a Pinterest failure, however I'd definitely love to hear from someone who has been successful in their jelly-straw-worm making!!
At least the cupcakes looked and tasted great.
Did you know that: