Monday 27 May 2013

H is for Hangry!

Hangry (han-gree) adj.
1. A state of anger caused by lack of food;
hunger causing a negative change in emotional state.

I'm not sure about you, but there have certainly been times in my life (just ask my husband!), when I am ridiculously hangry! So hangry, that I would easily eat in a similar fashion to this Sesame Street character, who is infamous for chomping down cookies like, well, a monster!


Thinking of Cookie Monster, and the state of being 'hangry', I thought I'd share with you the basic cookie recipe that I use quite often in my house. It is super simple, and will quickly cure any case of hangriness with a delicious bite... If you are so hangry that you simply cannot wait the 12 minutes for them to be cooked - that's alright! I've taste tested this recipe multiple times, and can happily inform you that it also tastes great straight out of the mixing bowl!

COOKIE RECIPE:

125g margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 3/4 cup self raising flour

Plus 1/2 - 1 cup of whatever you want to add to it!

1. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees, and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. With an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugars, and vanilla essence.
3. Add the egg, and mix it thoroughly.
4. With a wooden spoon, mix in the flour until you have a nice, moist cookie dough consistency.
5. Add what you've chosen to add, and mix it in with the wooden spoon.
6. Place small round spoonfuls a few centimetres apart onto the baking tray, and bake for 12-15 minutes.
    - AND / OR -
Place those spoonfuls into your mouth.

Stuck for ideas of what to add to your cookie mixture? You could try:

- Chocolate chips (milk, dark, white, or a combination)
     Don't have chocolate chips handy? Why not crush up an Easter egg :)
- M 'n' Ms or Smarties
- Diced chocolate bars (e.g. Cherry Ripe, Mars, Kit Kat, etc.)
- Diced blocks of chocolate (e.g. Cadbury Black Forest, Rocky Road, Caramello, Crunchie, Turkish Delight etc.)

You can almost put in anything! Though, in my opinion, the best ones have some form of chocolate in them!

Happy Cookiiiee-ng :)

No comments:

Post a Comment